Wherever a patient’s journey of cardiac care takes them – for routine care in one of our practices, emergency treatment or specialized surgery at Maine Medical Center, or through our cardiac rehabilitation program – they can be assured they are receiving the highest level of quality care available. The MMC Cardiovascular Institute not only cares for more heart patients than any other hospital in Maine, but also more than most hospitals in all of New England. As a result of this experience, our patients do exceptionally well.
For over 50 years, MMC has maintained a tradition of cardiac excellence, providing the most advanced treatments and procedures. This approach had led to many firsts in Maine, including:
- First open heart surgery (1959)
- First pacemaker implanted (1963)
- First coronary artery bypass surgery (1972)
- First Balloon Angioplasty (1982)
- First LVAD (left ventricular assist device) implanted (1997)
- First robotic mitral valve replacement (2004)
- First Transcatheter Mitral Valve Repair (2009)
- First Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (2012)
Today, the providers of MMC Cardiovascular Institute continue to bring the most advanced cardiac expertise and procedures to Maine. This progressive approach puts patients in the best hands to fight heart disease, leading to longer, healthier lives.