Apply & Contact
Applications are welcome until a complete class of qualified applicants is achieved. Applications from individuals received after closing may be considered on a space available basis or for the succeeding class. A limited number of students are selected for each class. This is a highly competitive program, so we recommend you mail in your application as soon as possible. Learn more about our admission cycle for both the March and September semesters.
Our tuition is $3,750 plus fees for textbooks and supplies. To learn more about our tuition and fees please refer to our schedule of fees.
The school does not participate in Federal Title IV Financial Aid Programs. Aid may be available for qualified candidates from one or more of the following sources:
- Veterans Educational Benefits
- U.S. Naval Reserve Program
- U.S. Army Reserve Program
- Women's Board Scholarship (2nd semester only)
- Completed application form with $50.00 non-refundable fee
- Psychological Services Bureau (PSB) Health Occupations Aptitude Examination (HOAE) with scores above the 50th percentile
- Successful completion of high school diploma or equivalent (official transcripts required)
- Submission of other official transcripts, i.e. college, vocational school, nursing assistant course
- Two professional and three character references
- Interview with a member of the admission committee once above criteria are met
- If admitted, students must hold a current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Healthcare Providers through the American Heart Association. This certification must be valid prior to the start of classes for the duration of the program.
Health Occupations Aptitude Examination (HOAE)
MMC’s School of Surgical Technology requires all applicants to take the PSB (Psychological Services Bureau) Health Occupations Aptitude Examination as part of the admission requirements. This entrance exam is designed to give us a sense of your strengths and weaknesses, and we look for scores above the 50-percentile range in order to move forward in the application process. The exam is a computer-based, timed test consisting of five sections and taking approximately 2 ½ hours. The exam is administered by MMC at Southern Maine Community College (SMCC). Testing is held once every other month. Sample questions, sample test and study options can be found here. For test taking tips, download fact sheet.
Registration for the HOAE Exam Space is limited so registration is on a first-come, first-paid basis. Upon registration, you will receive details regarding testing day. The exams are held in January, March, May, July, September, and November. There is a non-refundable $50.00 fee required in advance. Register for the exam online or if you would prefer to register by phone, please call us at (207) 741-5589. Please notify your high school and college(s) to send your official transcripts directly to SMMC address below.
How to Apply
Follow the steps below to complete your application for admission:
- Download and complete the Maine Medical Center School of Surgical Technology application. Please make sure to list two professional and three character references. You will also need to sign the applicant authorization forms.
- Submit non-refundable application fee of $50.00. No cash will be accepted.
- Make checks payable to: MMC School of Surgical Technology
- To pay by credit card, complete the payment form with the application or call the School to pay by phone at (207) 741-5589. Office hours are Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
Mail applications to:
Maine Medical Center School of Surgical Technology
SMCC, 2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106