The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends mothers and babies exclusively breastfeed for six months and continue through the first year along with other foods. The evidence is clear that breast milk is the best nutrition for babies and that there are many other benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby. We also understand it isn’t always easy! Know that you are in good hands at Maine Medical Center.
Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) are dedicated to helping mothers reach their breastfeeding goals. They are vital members of the healthcare team committed to promoting and practicing evidence-based infant feeding practices. Every day our IBCLCs are here providing expert guidance and calm support for breastfeeding families.
Our Mother Baby Nurses are also well trained and experienced in breastfeeding support and will help you and your baby get off to a good start. Many have become Certified Lactation Counselors (CLCs), too.
Lactation support is available 7 days a week, 365 days a year:
Before your stay
During Your Stay
- Lactation consults are available in all areas of the Family Birth Center and Maine Medical Center (Prenatal Care, Labor & Delivery, Mother Baby Care, NICU/CCN, BBCH)
After Your Stay
- Call (207) 662-4555 for appointments which are covered by a majority of insurance policies.
- Outpatient Lactation Program appointments at Maine Medical Center are available at any time after you go home with your baby.
- If you didn’t deliver at MMC, you can still use the Outpatient Lactation Program.
- Phone support is available if you just have a question that may not require an appointment.
- Our Weekly Breastfeeding Group is open to any new mothers and babies!
Breast Pump Rental:
Breast pump rentals are available through the The Boutique at MMC. Ask your nurse for more information. If you are an active Women’s Infants and Children (WIC) client, ask them about covering the cost of your breast pump rental.