Medical Student Rotation
MMC Med-Peds Primary Care Elective
- Location: Maine Medical Partners Lakes Region Primary Care
- 584 Roosevelt Trail
- Windham, Maine
- Jill Kerekes, M.D. (Course Director)
- Fred Emerson, M.D.
- Melanie Murray, M.D.
- Eugene Paluso, M.D.
Time Commitment: 4 weeks
Blocks offered per year: 4
Enrollment: One student per block offered
- To become familiar with the practice of Internal Medicine - Pediatric Primary Care.
- To hone medical history taking, physical exam, presentation, and diagnostic skills by caring for patients of all ages.
- To have the opportunity to perform the following procedures: skin biopsies, cryotherapy, incision and drainage of abscesses, pap/pelvic exams, EKG's, peak flows, and joint aspirations and injections.
Students will work with internal medicine-pediatric trained physicians in a primary care practice situated in the lakes region of Windham, Maine. This site is also one of our med-peds residency continuity clinic training sites. The majority of the experience will be based in this suburban ambulatory care setting with the option of doing newborn nursery rounds at MMC. Students will also have the opportunity to attend educational lectures at MMC and meet the MMC Med-Peds residents and the program director and coordinator.
Evaluation Methods: Course Director will complete a composite evaluation form
Prerequisites: Internal Medicine Clerkship and Pediatric Clerkship
Applications will be accepted April 1st through June 15th each year for electives taking place July through December. Medical students must apply through VSAS. For more information about the VSAS application process, please click here.
For more information about the rotation, please contact Kelly Barnes, Med-Peds Program Coordinator at (207) 662-2405.