Anesthesiology Scholarly Activity
The department considers academic investigation an important part of education and encourages resident participation in clinical research and scientific presentations. The anesthesiology department employs a full-time Research Coordinator to facilitate research projects on many levels including literature searches and navigating the IRB approval process.
Our residents receive the support to take part in scholarly activity that includes everything from research, national presentations, chapter writing, quality improvement projects, and Grand Rounds presentations. Below is just a sample of activity from our department over the past several years.
SCA Meeting & Workshop- April 2015
- Bradley Graustein, M.D., Anesthetic Management of Patient With Large Anterior Mediastinal Mass with SVC Syndrome for SVC Stenting
- Justin Poltak, M.D.; Frederick Cobey, M.D. MPH FASE; John Augoustides, MD; Christopher Connors, M.D.; Maine Medical Center; Tufts Medical Center; University of Pennsylvania-Paravertebral Analgesia in Transapical Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
New England Anesthesia Resident Conference- February 2015
- Angus Christie, M.D., Loren Babirak, M.D., Janie Nguyen, D.O. Case Presentation: Type I Myotonic Dystrophy for Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, presented at New England Anesthesia Resident Conference
Global Health Education Series- March 2014
- Theodor Rintel, M.D. Healthcare in Malawi, Global Health Education Series, Partners for World Health ASA Annual Meeting
- Loren Babirak, M.D., Jeffrey Herrold, MD, case presentation “Difficult Intubation in a Child with Pierre Robin Syndrome”
- John Allyn, M.D., Building a Quality Management System for Meaningful Use (RCL) Developing a Quality Improvement Program in a Department of Anesthesiology (panel)
Maine Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses Fall Conference- November 2013
- Sarah Laduzenski, M.D. Regional Anesthesia Basics
- Tony Miller, M.D. Intraoperative Anesthesia Emergencies for PeriAnesthesia
ASA Conference on Practice Management
- Craig Curry, M.D., Using Data to Improve Clinical Outcomes
- Allyn, J, M.D., Reporting Data to Your Group; Managing a Sub-Par Provider
The New York State Society of Anesthesiologists- December 2011
- Daniel Agne D.O., John Makrides MD – Aorta-Enveloping Neuroblastoma
- Stephanie Nessman M.D., Daniel Landry M.D. – Critical Aspiration in a Long-Standing Quadraplegic
- Jill Hobbs M.D., John Siegle M.D. – Post Partum Massive Transfusion Resulting in Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
American Society of Anesthesiologists- October 2011
- Angus Christie M.D., BJ Schuyler M.D. – Removal of Superior Vena Cava Stent with Cardiopulmonary Bypass in a Patient with Metastatic Breast Cancer in the Setting of Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
- Marti Mitchell D.O., Jim Pisini D.O. – Ketamine for Post-Operative Pain Management in the Patient with Acute Opioid Tolerance
- Liberty Taylor M.D., Chris Cary M.D. – Urgent Cesarean Section for Breech Presentation Complicated by Alexander Disease
- Ryan Foresman M.D., Kolleen Dougherty M.D. - Emergent Decompression of a Bilateral Tension Pneumothorax
- Liberty Taylor M.D., Barry Gleason M.D. – Total Thyroidectomy in a Patient with Thyrotoxic Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis
- Justin Poltak M.D., Laurie Sutherland M.D. – Acutely Psychotic Woman with Anterior Placenta Previa, Refusing Life-Saving Cesarean Section
- BJ Schuyler M.D., James Flowerdew M.D., Ken Raessler M.D. – Massive Transfusion in a Patient with Aorto-Esophageal Fistula and the Use of Activate Factor VII (rVIIa) in the Setting of an Artificial Aortic Valve
Northeast Group of Educational Affairs Conference- 2011
- Wiltshire, W., Blanchard, R., Darby, J.R., Bing-You, R. Measuring faculty and employee readiness: Development of the “Readiness for Simulation Scale.”
- Curry C, Allyn J, Smith K. Evaluation of Anesthetic Technique on Surgical Site Infections (SSI) at a Single Institution. Journal of Clinical Anesthesia. 2014 December; 26(8).
- Allyn J, Curry C. Quality management system in a private practice setting. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2013 Fall; 51(4):37-52.
- Allyn J, Curry C Building a Quality Management System for Meaningful Use. ASA Refresher Courses in Anesthesiology. 2014 Fall; Vol. 42.
- Gilbertson CK, Connors CW, Quinn RD. A Case of Symptomatic Left Ventricular Diverticulum. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia. 2013 Oct;27(5):949-50
- Poltak J, Connors CW. Effects of Paravertebral Analgesia on Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation and Delirium in Transapical Trancatheter Aortic Valve Replacement–to be published 2015
- Kudlak, Theresa, M.D.
- Yao and Artusio’s Anesthesiology: Problem-Oriented Patient Management
- Editors: Fun-Sun F. Yao, Manuel L. Fontes, Vinod Malhorta
- Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Year: 2012
- Chapter Title: Open-Eye Injury
- Flowerdew, James, M.D.
- Pediatric Anesthesia: Basic Principles, State-of-the-Art, Future
- Editor: Dr. Bruno Bissonnette
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Year: 2010
- Chapter Title: Plastics Procedures: Anesthetic Considerations
- Christie, Angus, M.D.
- Clinical Manual and Review of Transesophageal Echocardiography, 2nd Ed
- Editors: Joseph P. Mathew, Chakib Maurice Ayoub, Madhav Swaminathan
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill
- Year: 2010
- Chapter Title: Tee for Non-Cardiac Surgery