Clinical Nursing Assistant II
Under supervision of a Registered Professional Nurse and according to established policies and procedures, performs various service duties and routine technical tasks such as taking vital signs and assisting patients with basic hygiene and daily living activities. Specific duties may vary by area of assignment. Consideration of the special needs and behaviors of specific patient populations is required.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Must be certified as a Nursing Assistant by the State of Maine and be on the State of Maine Registry.
2. Ability to perform simple arithmetic calculations.
3. Interpersonal skills necessary to exchange information and maintain courteous relationships with patients, families, visitors and Medical Center employees.
4. Ability to read, write and speak English in order to transcribe and communicate approved provider's orders at a level normally acquired through a high school education.
5. Knowledge of standards, policies, procedures and organizational structure of the unit, the Department of Nursing and Maine Medical Center.
6. Participates in ongoing education relative to role as defined.
Under the direction and supervision of the RN, organizes and provides basic nursing care for patients and their families.
Performs and records various duties necessary to provide complete care within established standards, policies, and procedures. These may include giving complete and partial baths, positioning patients, giving enemas, making beds, ambulating and feeding patients, taking vital signs, collecting specimens, and determining intake, output and mass.
Assists with admission, transfer, and/or discharge of patients by transporting, lifting and positioning patients while following necessary safety precautions.
Contributes to the development of the patient plan of care under direction of a Registered Nurse.
Communicates patient care information to other health care team members, including changes noted, by verbal report and/or documentation of patient care provided according to policy and procedure guidelines.
Reinforces selected patient teaching initiated by the Registered Nurse.
Provides emotional support to patients and families.
Assists in the orientation of other staff.
Assists in maintaining patient and unit area in a clean, orderly, and safe manner.
Effectively utilizes the translogic tube system, intercom system, and paging system to enhance communication.
Assists in sorting and retrieving equipment and supplies.
Contributes to the partnership among care givers, patients and families to provide safe and effective care.
How to Apply - Information Session
CNA Course Home