|Welcome to the Maine Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program!
Congratulations on choosing Family Medicine, the most rewarding, challenging and professionally satisfying field of medicine. By deciding to become a family physician, you have chosen to best position yourself to meet all the healthcare needs of patients, families, and communities.
As Program Director, my goal is for each of our residents to graduate feeling like a competent family physician, prepared to practice in any setting. Along the way, each will feel supported, academically challenged and empowered to maintain a good balance of personal and professional life.
Through our website, we hope to show you why we believe we are the best Family Medicine residency in the country. Furthermore, we hope to entice you to come see firsthand why our special mix of people, program and location is unrivaled.
Alison Samitt, MD
Director, Family Medicine Residency Program
Maine Medical Center Family Medicine: Teaching, Caring, Leading.
The Maine Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program will:
- Promote a scholarly environment
- Foster a balance of personal and professional growth
- Enhance patient and family health
We are devoted to providing a superior educational experience for Family Medicine residents and students as well as comprehensive, high quality healthcare to patients, families, and our community. In fulfilling our mission, we are committed to continuous quality improvement.
- 21 residents (7 per year)
- 16 faculty, including a psychiatrist and a social worker
- 36 month curriculum, including 3 elective months
- Weekly protected time for didactic sessions, Tuesday mornings 8-12
- 100% ABFM pass rate for graduates
- Postgrad opportunities at MMC
- Sports Medicine fellowship
- Integrative Medicine Fellowship
- Geriatrics Fellowship
- 4th Year Chief Resident position
Key Strengths of the Program
- The people! Ask anyone in the program, and that will be their first reply
- Location – Portland, Maine was voted ‘Most Livable City’ by Forbes Magazine
- Excellent outpatient training
- Family Medicine Centers are NCQA Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Homes
- Care for a panel of continuity patients who identify you as their doctor
- Excellent inpatient training
- Family Medicine Service cares for adults, newborns, kids, OB patients; supervised by family doctors
- Deliver OB patients under the supervision of FM doctors who do OB
- All inpatient training is at Maine Medical Center, a top 100 hospital
- Great teaching – we consistently get feedback on the amount and exceptional quality of the teaching residents receive
- Innovation – resident feedback is crucial to allowing us to continually evolve and ensure the best possible training
- Strong institutional and community support for Family Medicine
- Family Medicine is one of the strongest and most well respected departments at MMC
History of the Family Medicine Residency Program
The Maine Medical Center Family Medicine Residency Program evolved from the oldest General Practice residency in Maine. Continuing a tradition of medical education begun in 1874, Maine Medical Center converted its residency program in General Practice to a three-year program in Family Medicine in 1973. Shortly thereafter, the program's Family Practice Center opened its doors and has been serving the healthcare needs of Portland's East End neighborhood ever since.