Patients & General Information
Maine Medical Center traces its beginnings to the mid-nineteenth century. At that time, the only hospitals in the state were a marine hospital in Portland and an insane asylum In Augusta. The Civil War had just ended, and the Great Fire of 1866 had destroyed much of Portland. The economic, social, and scientific stimulus of the war, combined with the drive to rebuild Portland, created an urgent need for a general hospital.
Maine General Hospital opened its doors in 1874, after five years of planning, fundraising, and construction following its incorporation by the state legislature in 1868. The forty-bed facility served 114 patients during its first year.
The Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary opened in Portland in 1890 to provide eye and ear treatment to the poor, and Children’s Hospital opened in 1908, to provide free and comprehensive medical care to Portland’s children. These three institutions merged in 1951 to become Maine Medical Center.
A series of construction and renovation projects, including a $46 million expansion in 1984, has created the present-day complex of more than a million square feet. Today’s Maine Medical Center, is the largest hospital in northern New England. And progress continues. Watch the news section of this site for the latest news and announcements about Maine Medical Center.