Looking for a Living Donor
We know it may be difficult to ask family and friends if they are interested in donating a kidney to you. Here are some suggestions to help you with your search:
- If anyone offers to give a kidney, thank them and tell them how to contact the transplant program.
- Bring family or friends to your transplant evaluation and re-evaluation appointments.
- Recruit an advocate who can talk to people for you about donating a kidney.
- Tell your family and friends the truth about your health problems and expected survival without a transplant.
- Spread the word at work (perhaps through Human Resources) and your church.
- If someone is uncertain about kidney donation, let us know and we can put them in contact with someone who has already donated.
- Give out the Donor Request Card.
- Let us decide if someone is healthy enough to be a donor.
- Do not rule someone out if they have the wrong blood type. We can sometimes arrange a living donor kidney swap.
- Keep your options open. Someone may offer to donate when you least expect it.