Benefits of Living Donor Transplantation for the Recipient
You can receive a living donor kidney from a spouse, a relative, a friend, or as part of a kidney swap if you and your donor are incompatible. Kidneys received from living donors bring with them many benefits for recipients.
- Because it is an elective procedure, the transplant surgery can be scheduled at the convenience of the living donor and the recipient.
- The recipient is able to avoid prolonged time on dialysis, and may be able to avoid dialysis altogether.
- Depending on the donor-recipient match, the recipient may need less immunosuppression.
- Kidneys from living kidney donors last longer.
- Recipients of living donor kidneys live longer.
If you would like to learn more about living kidney donation, visit the Living Donor section of our website!