What are the Unique Aspects of our Program?
- Five year ACGME accreditation cycle with 2 commendations for excellence from the Residency Review Committee in 2010
- High volume sub-specialty practices with no fellows allow for direct resident involvement
- Extremely high rate of successful placement of residents into fellowships
- New 3 million dollar Simulation Center in which to teach residents Ob, Gyn and Urogyn simulation
- Dedicated research month in the PGY2 year allows residents to produce quality research projects - one of our residents recently won the National ACOG Richardson prize for Excellence in Resident Education, another resident won the Northeast District ACOG Richardson prize this year
- Elective month in the PGY3 allows residents to avail themselves of unique educational experiences, internationally, regionally and locally.
- International experiences: Chairman Dr. Tarraza offers senior residents four opportunities to travel with him on surgical missions. Residents have traveled to Peru, Columbia and Sierra Leone
- Residency structured so that residents are able to scrub on >90% of the surgery they book on their own continuity patients
- Unique opportunity to learn practical QI/QA
- Portland Maine affords outstanding quality of life