- The second most common neurodegenerative disorder
- Affects greater than 1% of people over age 60
- Affects about 500,000 Americans, and several thousand people in Maine.
- Each year, another 180 people in Maine will be diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease
- About one-fifth of people with Parkinson’s disease can benefit from surgery
- Affects more than 10 million Americans
- Affects about 4,000 people in Maine
- Each year, another 300 people in Maine will be diagnosed with essential tremor
- Deep Brain Stimulation will eliminate or reduce the tremor in approximately twothirds of people with essential tremor.
- Affects as many as 250,000 Americans
- Dystonia probably affects about 500 people in Maine.
- Deep Brain Stimulation may help to control symptoms for people who are unresponsive to medication.
For additional resources, click here.