Our residency program piloted an innovative quality improvement (QI) educational curriculum in 2005, a faculty project that won second prize at the national APGO/CREOG educational conference.
The QI/QA curriculum starts in during orientation to introduce interns to patient safety, both in didactic lectures and Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI) modules. Interns are paired with a mentor to select a QI/QA project that is of interest to the resident and aligned with Continuity Clinic, departmental or institutional priorities. Residents complete the initial project, including gap analysis and intervention, many of these projects happen in the context of the residents’ own continuity practice. Projects are presented to the department and residents then complete a sustainability project in the PGY4 year.
Examples of Recent resident-initiated questions that led to QI projects:
- Are we giving our patients dTDP vaccine as recommended by the CDC? Project involved wide-spread education in clinic and on post-partum floors, Grand Rounds presentations, and education.
- Do we have adequate emergency procedures for a vaginal delivery in clinic? Project involved workshops for ancillary staff, development of a non-expiring emergency delivery kit, in situ simulation teaching, and coordination with different departments.
- How can we better prepare residents for colposcopy clinic? Project developed an on-line teaching module for residents who want to learn or brush up on colposcopy. Change resident schedules to allow for continuity of care re: colposcopy.
Selected QI/QA Resident Publications
- Foust-Wright CE, Pulvino J, Hunt R, Varaklis K. Reducing needlestick injuries in Ob/Gyn residency program. Oral presentation at the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics/CREOG Annual Meeting. Atlanta GA. 2014
- Hay C, Varaklis K. Factors influencing presence or absence of transformation zone on pap smears obtained at the MMC Ob/Gyn Clinic. Oral presentation at the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics/CREOG Annual Meeting. 2015