Cardiology & Cardiac Surgery
Where your child’s heart is in the best of hands.
The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital (BBCH) is home to the only complete cardiac program for children north of Boston, and the only hospital in Maine to offer pediatric open-heart surgery. We provide comprehensive diagnostic assessment and some of the most advanced treatment options for patients with congenital (present at birth) heart disease as well as children with acquired heart disease (conditions that develop during childhood).
Why BBCH is the region’s hospital of choice for the treatment of heart problems in children:
- We offer both interventional diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the catheterization and electrophysiology (EP) laboratories.
- Maine’s first and only pediatric electrophysiologist for diagnosing and treating heart rhythm disturbances in children.
- Outstanding inpatient care from cardiology-certified nursing staff and one of only three hospitals in Maine to earn Magnet™ designation, the highest honor an organization can receive for nursing care.
- A dedicated pediatric ICU, staffed by specially trained pediatric cardiac nurses.
- The only hospital in Maine to provide extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO).
- We staff Maine’s first and only cardiologist with expertise in cardiac MRI and we staff Maine's first and only pediatric interventional cardiologist.
- High-quality care that is reflected in patient outcomes that meet or exceed national benchmarks.
- A remarkably collegial, collaborative and patient-centered environment that facilitates shared decision making among everyone involved in a patient’s care, including the family.
- Use of, when appropriate, our Pediatric Short Stay Unit – an extension of BBCH on the main floor of Maine Medical Center offering convenience in a private, secure setting.