For infants, children, and adolescents with acute and chronic infectious diseases, The Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital is home to the state’s only dedicated pediatric infectious disease program – providing an exceptional level of comprehensive care for young patients with illnesses caused by viruses, bacteria, fungi or parasites. Through our Travel Clinic, our team also advises children and families who plan to travel outside the U.S. on country-specific immunizations, preventive medications for such conditions as malaria, and food-safety measures.
Our dedicated physicians remain on the leading edge through their involvement in teaching the next generation of physicians and in innovative research.
Our physicians diagnose and treat the full range of infections affecting all major organ systems, including infections involving multiple body systems. Among the conditions that are managed include:
- Blood stream infection (Sepsis)
- Bone and joint infections
- Clostridium difficile colitis (‘C diff’)
- Food-borne diseases such as salmonella
- Hepatitis B and C
- Influenza, including the H1N1 virus
- Lyme disease
- Malaria and other travel-related diseases
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
- Tuberculosis (TB)