Services for Staff & Employees
The Library is located on the 5th floor of the Pavilion Building, and is staffed Monday - Friday, 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Librarians are available to help you with specific information needs. Authorized persons may access the Library after hours with a valid MMC identification badge.
In The Library
In support of the MMC administrative, clinical, educational and research programs, the Library's collection consists of approximately 6,000 books and 650 current journal subscriptions in both print and electronic formats, as well as microforms, videotapes, slide programs, audiocassettes, and a large collection of clinical slides. Maine Medical Center employees and Medical Staff may borrow books, slides, and audiotapes for up to four weeks. Videotapes are available for one week and journals and special collections (History and Archives) do not circulate.
If we don't have it, we can get it! For MMC employees and Medical Staff, Library Staff will locate and borrow items not owned by the Library. Requests may be submitted by email or by contacting the library.
Searching the Literature
You are welcome to browse and search the library yourself. The Library subscribes to several databases, including MEDLINE, PsychInfo, CINAHL, and SportDiscus. These databases are available from any terminal that is connected to the MMC network. A search will provide you with a list of journal articles, some in full text, on a topic of interest to you.
If you cannot search our library on your own, our library staff can do it for you. Experienced searchers will compile a bibliography. We have access to the above databases plus approximately 300 more. You can request a search by email or by contacting the library.
We provide a self-service photocopier for copying Library materials or physicians may request Library Staff perform this service. Inquire in the Library for more information.
Tours and Orientations
Library Staff members welcome the opportunity to provide tours and/or orientation sessions to individuals or groups wishing to learn more about the services and resources available in the Library.
Classes on database searching and general Library skills are offered upon request. Contact the Library to schedule training at your convenience.
EOS - MMC Library Card Catalog
You can access the MMC Library Card Catalog online and search for books, videos, journals and archival materials.
The Library subscribes to hundreds of print and electronic journals in the clinical sciences and allied health subjects. In total , we can access nearly 6000 titles with the addition of titles available from the Maine State Databases. TDNet provides access information or links to our journals whether they are print, microform, or full text online. TDNet is available on-site, and off-site for patrons with remote access privileges.
A collection of databases for literature searching is provided by the MMC Library. Databases include Medline (Ovid & PubMed), PsycINFO, CINAHL and SportDISCUS. Search results will be citations with summaries, links to available full text and a message indicating if the Library subscribes to the journal
An extensive list of our databases can be found below:
- AccessMedicine: More than 60 medical titles, assessment tools, images and other medical resources.
- CINAHL: The premier Nursing and Allied Health database.
- Clinical Evidence: An evidence-based clinical decision making tool from BMJ.
- Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews: Evidence-based systematic reviews.
- Drug Facts & Comparisons: An unbiased drug database updated daily.
- Dynamed: A point-of-care reference resource.
- Epocrates: A popular mobile, point-of-care drug and clinical information resource available for all major devices. Essential Evidence Plus: A point-of-care database featuring decision support tools from various evidence-based sources.
- MDConsult: A family of electronic information resources for clinical needs.
- Micromedex: Clinical knowledge content and drug database.
- Natural Medicines: Evidence-based, clinical information on natural medicines.
- Natural Standard: Evidence-based information about complementary and alternative therapies.
- Nursing Consult: Quick access to multiple nursing resources.
- Ovid Medline: The premier database of biomedical sciences.
- Procedures Consult: Evidence-based procedure reference tool from Elsevier.
- PsycINFO: Database of psychological and behavioral sciences.
- SPORTDiscus: Comprehensive coverage of sports and fitness related disciplines.
- UptoDate: A point-of-care database of clinical review articles.
- VisualDX: A database of medical images for differential diagnosis.
- Catalog: The Library's catalog, EOS, is available to everyone and contains the holdings of the MMC Library, and the Archives.
The Cochrane Library
An online collection of systematic reviews of the effects of healthcare interventions and evidence-based meta-analysis and clinical trials is available from Wiley.