Buddy Bear Goes to the Hospital
With parents and a favorite toy nearby, children feel more secure. Parents and children learn about surgery together through the Buddy Bear Program. This includes a video, coloring book, and a cuddly stuffed bear - all designed to help children overcome their fears about surgery.
The Buddy Bear Program is for children between the ages of 2 and 12 years old who are scheduled for surgery at the Scarborough Surgery Center. We can schedule an appointment for you and your child to take the Buddy Bear Tour.
On the day of the tour, you and your child will come to the Surgery Center waiting area for the Buddy Bear slide show. Then we will tour the pre-op area where patients wait before surgery. Next, we will visit the operating room for a look at the equipment. The final area we visit is the pediatric recovery area that has bright colors with planets, stars, and moons. At the end of the tour, we will have refreshments, and each child will be given a stuffed animal, as well as a Buddy Bear coloring book (pdf).
The program is held every Tuesday afternoon from 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM in the Scarborough Surgery Center Conference Room. Please call (207) 396-7222 to enroll your child.
We appreciate the special needs and concerns of children and their families who need surgery.
Here are some tips to make the day less stressful:
- Bring a favorite bottle or sippy cup for your child.
- Bring your child's favorite blanket, stuffed animal, hand-held game, or toy.
- One parent or a legal guardian must remain on the premises.
- Parents: eat breakfast or pack some snacks for yourself so you are not hungry. You can better care for your child after surgery if you don't feel hungry.
- You will want and need to give your full attention to your child who is having surgery on that day. Please leave siblings at home with a sitter or family member.