If these instructions are not followed, surgery may be cancelled!
All Patients over 16 years of age:
- No food or milk after 12 midnight (regardless of time of surgery).
- You may drink water, apple juice, black coffee, or black tea up to 4 hours before surgery. Then you may have nothing by mouth for the last 4 hours.
All patients under 16 years of age:
- No food or milk after midnight (regardless of the time of surgery)
- Up until 2 hours before surgery: may have clear liquids (water, apple juice, white grape juice, cranberry juice).
- Up until 4 hours before surgery: may have breast milk.
- Up until 6 hours before surgery: may have formula or milk.
- You should take your medicines with a sip of water.
- You may take your pain medicine as needed.
- If you use inhalers regularly, use them and bring them.
- If diabetic, do not take your insulin or diabetic medicines unless the doctor tells you to.
- Bring your insulin to the hospital with you.
- If you take aspirin or blood thinners, let your doctor know.
- If you take diet or herbal pills, let your doctor know.
Things to know
- A family member or friend may come with you and wait in our waiting room or we can call them when you are ready to leave.
- Call your doctor if you have a cold, fever, or bad cough because surgery may need to be cancelled.
- Come showered, wear no jewelry or makeup. Wear clean, comfortable, loose clothing.
- Do not wear contact lenses.
- You cannot drive home after surgery.
- You should have someone stay with you at home the night of your surgery.