You will be taken to the Recovery area after your surgery. There are registered nurses (RN) specially trained to care for you as you wake up from anesthesia. The Customer Service Representative in the Waiting Area will make sure your family is kept updated.
Your support person may join you at your bedside when you are feeling up to it. You will be discharged when you are safely ready. The RN will give you written and verbal discharge instructions about your diet, activity, medications, and home care before you leave.
The following are additional guidelines to the formal instructions for all patients:
- Call your surgeon if you have any unusual symptoms are unexpected changes in your condition.
- Avoid all alcoholic beverages.
- Do not drive or operate machinery or heavy equipment for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
- Avoid signing legal documents for at least 24 hours after your surgery.
- Please remember that we may not discharge you to any empty home. It is your responsibility to arrange to have someone at home with you for at least the first night. We will confirm that you have made arrangements.
There is not a Pharmacy on site; however, there are several within a three mile radius should you wish to fill your prescription nearby.
We will ask permission to call in 1-3 days after surgery to check on you. An RN will call to see how you are doing, talk about any concerns about your visit, and get any feedback. We welcome any comments and feel free to add suggestions to the patient survey you were given at the time of your visit.
Follow Up Visit
Your Surgeon’s office will schedule a follow up visit at their office. This is usually done prior to surgery. If you do not have a scheduled visit contact your doctor’s office to schedule.
We have a short stay unit if your doctor decides you need extended care or overnight recovery. Our six private rooms are staffed by RNs. We believe in family centered care; visitors are always welcome.
Patients are discharged the next morning with their doctor's approval. We will give you written and verbal discharge instructions about your diet, activity, medications, and home care before you leave.