We appreciate the special needs and concerns of children and their families who need surgery.
Here are some tips to make the day less stressful:
- Bring a favorite bottle or sippy cup for your child.
- Bring your child's favorite blanket, stuffed animal, hand-held game, or toy.
- One parent or a legal guardian must remain on the premises.
- Parents: eat breakfast or pack some snacks for yourself so you are not hungry. You can better care for your child after surgery if you don't feel hungry.
- You will want and need to give your full attention to your child who is having surgery on that day. Please leave siblings at home with a sitter or family member.
- We encourage you to schedule your toddler and yourself to attend Buddy Bear class before your surgery. This class includes a tour of the surgery area; you'll get to meet the staff, feel and touch the equipment, and ask questions. To register for this one-hour class, please call 396-7222.
Diet instructions for patients under age 16:
(unless your surgeon gives different instructions)
1. No food is allowed after midnight.
2. Encourage your child to have apple juice, water, white grape juice, or Pedialyte up to 2 hours before surgery.
3. Breast milk is allowed until 4 hours before surgery.
4. Formula or non-human milk is allowed until 6 hours before surgery.