Organized in 1877 as The Ladies' Visiting and Advisory Board, the early volunteers inspected the hospital kitchens and visited the ward patients, donating 12 rocking chairs for their comfort. In 1930, they were instrumental in establishing the Hospital Social Service Department. In 1947, the ladies started a canteen and gift counter in the Maine General Hospital and, thus, established their mission, which continues to this day.
All profits are donated to benefit MMC and its patients, to be used for such things as equipment, clinic needs, Memorial Funds, Capital Campaigns and other projects. In addition, The Women's Board annually awards scholarships to Nursing, Medical Technology, and Surgical Technology students. In 1991, The Women's Board established "The Medical Education Residency Endowment Fund."
The Women's Board of the Maine General Hospital operates the MMC's Pavilion Grill, Boutique, Gift Shop, and Kiosk. The Women's Board presently consists of more than 50 active and sustaining members, each volunteering as she is able in one of the shops. However, many more volunteers staff the shops, serving approximately 1,000 people each day, and new volunteers are always welcome. Membership on the Women's Board is by invitation to volunteers of the Pavilion Grill, Gift Shop, or Boutique.
The Visiting Board of the Children's Hospital
The Visiting Board was formed in 1910 for the purpose of supporting programs that benefit the care of children and adolescents at MMC. As one of the three auxiliaries of MMC, the Visiting Board focuses on supporting the Let’s Go Program, Children’s Miracle Network (Flower Power), and requests from various departments within the hospital for items needed by the youth being served.
The Visiting Board oversees the running of the Flower Box, which is the source for most of the funds raised. Proceeds from the Flower Box provide support to all programs benefiting the care of children and adolescents. In addition to the Board, other volunteers assist the staff in arranging flowers, making deliveries, and marketing products. We believe that providing a smile to those most in need is just as important as the other services we provide. We are always looking for others who would like to play a part whether you know flowers or not!
Friends of Maine Medical Center
Friends of Maine Medical Center (MMC) was established in 1959 at the request of the Board of Trustees. The purpose of the group was to provide a series of activities designed to promote public relations between the hospital and community with an emphasis on education. The group awarded its first annual nursing scholarship in 1963. The 'Friends' have received national, state, and regional recognition for excellence in programs and services.
Today, Friends of MMC awards annual scholarships to MMC Junior Volunteers as well as students in MMC affiliated health care programs. The group creates handmade dolls that are designed to teach children about their illnesses. They fund and supply crafts for an 'anti-boredom' cart used by patients to pass time during hospital stays. They sew gowns for premature infants who are receiving care at MMC. They hold an annual tree lighting ceremony during the holidays that allows patients, staff, and community members to honor a loved one. Finally, the 'Friends' strive to undertake any special projects requested by MMC.
The Friends of MMC rely mostly on membership dues and gifts to fund their scholarship program. This requires a constantly growing membership to meet present and future needs of patients, staff, and community. They are also in need of additional volunteers to carry out their various projects.
If you are interested in becoming a member or lending support for our Auxillary Boards, please contact the Volunteer Office at (207) 662-2205.