What to Pack
You should plan to pack your hospital bag at least two weeks before your due date so that you aren’t rushing around when you discover you are in labor. Use the checklist below to help you decide what to bring. For a printable version of this checklist, click here.
The hospital will have basic toiletries available for you to use such as toothpaste, a toothbrush, and comb, as well as pads and panties, a hospital gown, robe and nonskid socks for you. Many people bring these items from their home so they can wear clothes and use items that they are comfortable with. Please do not use heavy scented personal care products during your stay. Most chemicals used to create fragrances are also respiratory irritants and can trigger asthma, allergies, and migraines.
MMC will provide diapers, blankets, and t-shirts for your baby to use in the hospital. We ask you to leave items of great value at home. MMC cannot be responsible for them.
- Copy of your birth plan
- Nightgowns in which you can breastfeed
- Eyeglass and contact lenses
- List of current medications (We’ll provide you with the medication while you are here.)
- Warm socks/slip on slippers
- Massage tools
- Music (CD/DVD players available)
- Light snacks (Refrigerators available)
- Camera and film
- Telephone numbers and prepaid calling card or cell phone
- Nursing bra
- Loose-fitting clothing for wearing home
- Partner’s sleepwear
- Change of clothing
- Light snacks
- Breath mints or gum
- Baby clothes for going home (washed in mild soap)
- Receiving blankets (washed in mild soap)
- Car seat